Meet The Doctor
Phil J. Kim DDS
Board Certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
Dr. Kim is a proud Texas resident who grew up in the DFW area. He was born in Seoul, South Korea in 1972 and moved with his family to Dallas in 1974 where he happily spent his entire childhood and young adult life. He had a wonderful university experience in the great city of Austin as a Texas Longhorn.
He graduated from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1999, followed by a 1 yr General Dentistry residency in Baumholder, Germany. He proudly served his country for 11 years as an officer in the U.S. Army. What an experience! He lived and traveled all over the world serving the greatest troops in the world. He graduated from his 4 yr surgical residency in the D.C. area at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. His experience serving the troops as a surgeon during wartime has left a lasting impression that has shaped his world view. Going the “extra-mile” for his patients is the only way he knows how to practice Medicine and Dentistry. His memories are filled with countless late night hours in the Operating Room performing reconstructive facial surgery to help the soldiers get back to their loved one. What an honor it was !!
Dr. Kim has also trained under world-renowned surgeons at: The University of Maryland, Shock Trauma, The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, and Bethesda Naval Medical Center and has received training in General Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Intensive Care, Emergency Care, Internal Medicine, Dermatology, Cosmetic Facial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, and General Anesthesia.
Dr. Kim is happily married to his wife, Stephanie (Eun Hyung) Kim, whom he met in a small church while stationed overseas in Germany. Stephanie lived in Germany for 9+ years studying Performance Piano and Education. They have two wonderful children, Jocelyn (15) and Charlton (12).
Dr. Kim has always been active in his local community and church. He loves sports, working-out (when he gets a chance :), traveling all over the world, golfing and simply hanging out with family and friends. He has always received praise from his mentors and colleagues for his hard work ethic, easy-going/stress-free demeanor, wonderful bedside manner, compassion, and great surgical skills. He loves what he does and is proud to be back home serving in his community.
Active Licenses and certificates:
– Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
– Fellow, American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
– Fellow, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
– Fellow, National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
– Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support
– Certified in Advanced Trauma Life Support
– Certified in Advanced Pediatric Life Support
– Chief, Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, 121st Combat Support Hospital, 2006-2010
– OMS Consultant to the Commander of the U.S. Armed forces, Korea, 2006-2010
– Chief of the Ambulatory Surgical Center, 121st Combat Support hospital, 2006-2010
– Teacher/mentor to Seoul National University and Yonsei University Dental Students, Seoul, South Korea, 2007-2010
– Chief Resident, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington D.C., 2005-2006
– Brigade Dental Surgeon, 299th Forward Support Battalion, Schweinfurt, Germany, 1999-2001
– International Association of Dental Research 1997-1998
– Recipient of the Dental Research Travel Grant, France, 1998
– President, Dallas Asian Dental Association, 2012
– President-Elect, Dallas Asian Dental Association, 2011
Dr. Kim has written numerous Publications and has presented countless National and International lectures on such topics as: Dental Implants, Bone grafting, Facial Trauma, Medical and Dental Emergencies, TMD, Facial Cosmetic Surgery, Oral Pathology, and Management of Head and Neck Infections.